Skip to main content

Full text of "A history of the First United Methodist Church, Waynesville, North Carolina : 1831-1981 ..."

See other formats

Sloan, Eleanor 

History Of The First United Methodist 
Church. . . 


' .W39 





XiWxXeA hSMioAist 







RESEARCHERS: Rubye Bryson (Mrs. Howard), Harriett Massie 
(Mrs. Hugh), Aileen Moore (Mrs. Frank), Anne Mundy (Mrs. Carl), 
Eleanor Sloan (Mrs. Ben) and Louise Sloan (Mrs. S. J.). 

SOURCES: General Minutes, Holston Conference, Quarterly 
Conference Minutes, Haywood County Register of Deeds, W. C. 
Allen's "Annals of Haywood County," History of the First 
Methodist Church by Mrs. W. A. Hyatt, members of the church 
staff, the Stringfield Papers and R. H. Boone. 

Compiled and written by Eleanor Sloan 


This history of the First United Methodist Church in 
Waynesville is presented by the History and Records Committee 
in commemoration of the church's 150th anniversary. 

It is written in tribute to 
those brave pioneers, who 
founded the church in 1831, and 
to those faithful and dedicated 
members who have given their 
time and talents to help carry 
out its mission during the past 
T50 years. 

An attempt to include the 
names of all those whose work 
has been an inspiration or to 
include every event in the life of 
the church from year to year 
would require several volumes 
and would be practically im- 

However, it the hope of the 
committee that reflection upon 
the history of the church, its 
heritage and its purpose and 
progress over the years may 
serve as a challenge for the 



The history of the Waynesville First United Methodist Church 
begins 150 years ago, in 1831, when the first mention is made in the 
General Minutes of the Holston Conference of the Waynesville 
Circuit in the Asheville District. 

At that time William Eakin was the appointed preacher and 
there were 478 white and 30 "colored" members on the circuit. 

The minutes give no information as to the first congregation or 
where services were held. In those days all reports of traveling 
preachers (circuit riders) were given as a circuit with no individual 
groups mentioned. 

It is, however, known that Methodism came to this section with 
the early pioneers who crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains seeking to 
establish homes in a new land. 

The country was young and so was Methodism. Until 1784 
Methodism was a lay movement within the Church of England. But 
when the final separation of the American Colonies from England 
came in 1783, the idea of a new church was conceived. At a con- 
ference held at Lovely Lane Chapel in Baltimore, Maryland, in 
December, 1784 the Methodist Episcopal Church in America was 
born and began its historic mission. 

By this time a few early pioneers had settled and built homes 
on Mount Pleasant, the ridge between Richland and Raccoon Creeks 
which formed the nucleus of the Town of Waynesville. 

Bishop Francis Asbury, John Wesley's famous assistant and 
the first bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church ordained in 


America, entered this area in 1810 and preached at the home of 
Jacob Shook, located in what is now the Town of Clyde. 

Shook, a devout Methodist, had come to this section in 1785 and 
built a log cabin. By the turn of the century he moved his family into 
a new home, said to be the first frame house built in the county, with 
one room dedicated to the worship of God. The house still stands 
and is designated as a historical spot by the Methodist Historical 
Commission. The room for worship has been preserved as a 
hallowed shrine. 

Additionally Shook gave a large tract of land for a camp ground 
which became a rallying point for Methodists within a radius of 
eighty miles. This certainly would have included the small village of 
Mount Prospect. 

One historian writes: 

For a long time in the early days the Baptist house of worship, built in 1823 
on the right bank of Richland Creek, was the only one in Waynesville. Other 
denominations held their services in Green Hill Academy, which was chartered 
in 1809, or in the court house built at the corner of Main and East Streets in 
Waynesville soon after Haywood County was erected in 1808. 

At the time the county was formed Mount Pleasant was chosen 
as the county seat and was renamed Waynesville. 

"^V"'. -i' 


The second reference to the Waynesville Circuit appears in the 
Conference minutes for the year 1845. The circuit covered all of 
Haywood County and half of Jackson County. 

That year the Holston Conference became a part of the 
Methodist Episcopal Church South after long and heated 
discussions at the General Conference about the division of the 
church into Northern and Southern Methodists. 

The only Haywood appointments were for Waynesville and 
Echota Mission (Indian) with John W. Thompson and Robert 
Pickens in charge. There were "478 white and 30 colored members" 
on the circuit. 


The first record of the Methodist Church owning property is a 
deed recorded in 1855 in the office of the Haywood County Register 
of Deeds calling for one-half acre and one pole on Green Hill, 
"together with all and singular houses, woods, waters, ways and 
privileges thereto belonging." 

The property was deeded to Peyton Almon, J. B. Fitzgerald, G. 
L. Cunningham, William Grahl, S. W. Gaston and Joseph Rhinehart, 
trustees of the Waynesville Methodist Church, Franklin District, 
Holston Conference, by William Welch, William Johnston, J. 
Cathey, A. C. Hargrove, W. G. B. Garrett, S. Fitzgerald, B. Turner 
and John Killian, trustees of Green Hill Academy. 

At this time Wiley F. Parker was the circuit preacher and 
memebrs of the "societies" totaled 711 white and 35 "colored." 


After the acquisition of property the Methodists of 
Waynesville erected their first house of worship — a small frame 
building on Green Hill, the site of the present Green Hill Cemetery. 

The building was used on alternate Sundays by the 
Presbyterians and Episcopalians of the community and, later as a 
token of appreciation for the use of the church, the Episcopal 
congregation presented a pulpit Bible to the Methodist Church. The 

The first church built by Methodists of Waynesville on a site acquired in 1855 on 
Green Hill. The building was moved to Pigeon Street after a new church was built 
and stands today as the A.M.E. Zion Church. 

Bible occupies a place in the church today. 

This building was also used as a school. W. W. Stringfield, a 
church leader, wrote to the Asheville Citizen, in an undated letter: 

The school under the patronage of our Methodist Church is a grand suc- 
cess, with a fine faculty and over 100 pupils from four states and every county in 
Western North Carolina. Board may be obtained in fine Christian homes at 
from four to six dollars. 

Another mission outgrowth of the church was Richland Chapel. 
Through the interest of the women a Sunday School was started and 
for many years was sponsored and staffed by church members. 



The Waynesville Circuit was moved to the Franklin District in 

Conference records for 1873 show there were 10 churches on 
the Waynesville circuit with 657 members and 13 Sunday Schools 
with an enrollment of more than 500 members. The churches were 
valued at $4,000 and there was one parsonage valued at $600. 

The Rev. W. M. Kerr was assigned to the circuit in 1874 and his 
pastorate continued for four years. One of his major concerns was to 
provide good literature for proper Sunday School organization. 

At a quarterly meeting held at Bethel in 1877, the presiding 
elder announced that only Waynesville and Richland Institute were 
holding Sunday School due to "uncomfortable conditions of meeting 
places and no special interest was manifested in religion because of 
unprecedented cold weather." 

The total collection for the circuit was $75.95, two dollars of 
which went to the presiding elder and the rest to the circuit 

Elected to fill vacancies on the board of trustees were Walter 
Brown, S. J. Shelton, J. C. T. Gudger, W. E. Miller, W. W. 
Stringfield, G. S. Ferguson, and W. M. Ayers. 


An important event in the life of the church occurred March 11, 
1879, when the Waynesville Missionary Society was organized in 
the home of Mrs. J. M. Tate. Officers elected were Mrs. E. E. Ed- 
wards, president; Mrs. D. J. Ratcliffe, vice president; Mrs. J. K. 
Boone, recording secretary; Mrs. W. W. Stringfield, corresponding 
secretary; and Mrs. E. H. Bogle, treasurer. 

Other charter members included Mrs. Tate, Mrs. Hazeltine 
Brown Killian, Mrs. Scott Brown, who was also the first organist in 
the church, Mrs. P. L. Turbyfill, Miss Corrie Kerr, Mrs. W. T. Lee, 
Miss Emma Rhinehart, Mrs. M. H. Rogers, Mrs. S. J. Shelton, Mrs. 
G. L. Ferguson, Mrs. R. D. Gilmer, Mrs. W. B. Ferguson, Mrs. B. F. 
Smathers, Mrs. Emma Willis, and Mrs. W. L. Norwood. 

The preacher, the Rev. E. H. Bogle, spoke to the group and 
explained the purpose of the organization. 

At the second meeting of the society, the women made 
preparations for a district meeting at which the Rev. James Atkins, 


who later became bishop, delivered the address. The group also paid 
dues for the quarter amounting to $2.75. 

Contributions for the first year of the organization totaled 

From the time the Missionary Society was organized women 
have played a vital role in the life of the church. Their purpose has 
been to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons 
through Jesus Christ. Their aim has been to help meet local needs 
and participate in global ministries of the church. 

Some concerns in the early years are reported in notes com- 
piled by Mrs. Rufus Siler. Minutes for 1882 showed that $1 was sent 
to a school for Seminole Indians and the group received letters each 
month from missionaries in Brazil and Mexico. Dues were 10 cents a 

At the December meeting in 1896 a letter was read from the 
Conference president asking the local women to spend one-half as 
much as they had planned to spend on Christmas and send the rest 
to foreign missions. "We must not let the Lord's work suffer in 
these hard times," she wrote. 

The forerunner of the fellowship dinners of later years was the 
first annual picnic held in 1886 at the home of Mrs. J. M. Tate. 

A notation in 1897 describes a mass meeting, plans for which 
did not include taking an offering. But by the request of the pastor 
two little girls took baskets through the crowd and collected $5. 
Some did not think that was much but others said "you do not know 
how many souls that might save, so the meeting was not in vain." 

Before the turn of the century the Methodist women met with 
black Methodist women of Waynesville who wanted to organize a 
society and instructed them on regulations and by-laws of the 
organization. A later project was to help get water to Pigeon Street, 
bed linen for Brevard College, and bedroom furnishings for the 
parsonage at a cost of $30. A benefit dinner was served at the 
courthouse which netted $28.40. 

Members continued to help at Richland Chapel and reported 
that the night school there was "doing much good." One young man 
had decided to study for the ministry. 

At another time the group joined Baptist women in petitioning 
the mayor not to wash the Waynesville streets on Sunday. 

The first meeting of the Women's Missionary Society in 1879. 

And a meeting at the home of Mrs. Charles E. Ray in 192S. 


A milestone was reached in 1880 when the Waynesville church 
with 182 white members was taken off the circuit and became a 
station. This meant that the church was established as large enough 
to have a minister assigned to one church, instead of being served 
by a circuit rider. 

The Rev. E. H. Bogle was assigned as the first minister at a 
salary of $300 but "only $269 was collected the first year." 

Stewards at the time were J. K. Boone, S. J. Shelton and G. A. 
Love. Class leaders were William Fincher and A. M. Ratcliffe and 
trustees were Walter Brown, J. M. Davis and H. M. Rogers. 


By the late 1870's it had become evident that the congregation was 
outgrowing the small frame building and plans for a new building 
were being considered. 

In 1878 the trustees submitted a plan for a new church to the 
quarterly conference, and the plan was approved. A subscription 
book was procured by the Rev. William M. Kerr, the preacher in 
charge, and members of the church made pledges to be payable in in 
one, two or three years from the first of October, 1878. About $1800 
was pledged for the erection of a new church on a lot on Haywood 
Street purchased in 1859 from Alfred Rich and wife, Martha, for 

Named to serve on the building committee were W. Brown, J. 
K. Boone, E. P. Hyatt, W. E. Miller and M. M. Davis. The committee 
appointed S. J. Shelton to superintend the erection of the church 
and in July 1880, he began making the brick for the building at a cost 
of $700. The actual construction began in the spring of 1881. 


After the walls were about two-thirds the height of the win- 
dows, in December, 1881, work was suspended until the spring of 
1882. During the spring and fall of 1882 the walls were finished, the 
roof was framed and about five feet of shingles were put on each 
side. Then, again, work was suspended until 1883. 

J. K. Boone was appointed superintendent of the work in 



August, 1883, succeeding S. J. Shelton, who had resigned. Work on 
the building was resumed and continued until the brick work on the 
tower and gables was complete, the roof finished and the floor laid. 
Then in December that year work was suspended again. 

Finally in April, 1884, work was resumed and continued until 
the building was completed August 20, 1884, at a total cost of $4,500. 

The church was dedicated Sunday, August 24, 1884 by Bishop 
Hargrove. The Rev. W. Simpson was the preacher in charge and 
there were 186 members. 

The brick building with a bell tower and steeple contained a 
sanctuary and two Sunday School rooms, one on each side of the 
vestibule. Other Sunday School classes met in the sanctuary in 
groups separated by portable curtains. 

Roberts H. Boone, who was born in 1896, described the church 
as he remembers it: 

We children sat with our mother (Mrs. J. K. Boone) near the front of the 
church. There was a big pot-bellied stove near the middle aisle with one long 
bench in front. Two short benches were by the side of the stove and then there 
were long benches. We sat on the short benches. 

The choir sat in the right hand corner of the sanctuary on benches facing 
the pulpit and the amen corner was on the left. 

We had a good choir and everybody liked to sing. At one time there was an 
orchestra. Mrs. W. L. Matney played the organ, Miss Margaret Stringfield 
played the violin, Jerry Davis played the clarinet and Will Farmer played the 
trumpet. My sister, Mary, directed the choir. 

From the first time I can remember until his death in 1912, my father, John 
K. Boone, was superintendent of the Sunday School and led the singing, too. 
Some of the old gospel songs I especially remember are left out or changed in 
the new hymnals. 

There were two small Sunday School rooms, one on each side of the en- 
trance. In the room on the left Miss Annie Shelton taught the beginners class. 
The room on the right had the stairs leading to the bell tower and in it Mrs. 
Hilda Way Gwyn taught the primary class. In the main church, E. P. Martin 
taught the boys, John Queen taught the young men and Professor E. J. Robeson 
taught the men's class. 

Ernest Withers and R. H. Blackwell were the best of ushers, who shook 
hands and greeted the people each Sunday. 

Over the years we had many revival services to raise the spiritual level of 
the church. I remember so well a revival during the pastorate of the Rev. M. F. 
Moores. The crowd was so big, the services were moved to the school 

The Epworth League was a great help to the young people. In the services 
we learned to stand up before a group and speak about the work of the 
organization. This experience started many of us in the work of the church as 
Sunday School teachers and leaders in other work. 

Soon after the Lake Junaluska Assembly was organized, the Rev. 0. P. 


Ader took a group of young people to a meeting there. We went on the train 
from Waynesville to Lake Junaluska. It cost 10 cents from Waynesville to the 
Lake and a round trip ticket was 15 cents. Six passenger trains came into 
Waynesville at that time. 

Other adult members of the church today remember the 
Christmas programs that involved children of all ages. 

There was always a warm fire in the big stove and a big Christmas tree 
with candles. The younger children recited poems — sometimes with promp- 
ting — and the older youth were cast in manger scenes. S. C. Liner, who was 
gifted at building, constructed the stage settings, that included 'real life' angels 
suspended from the ceiling to hover over the manger. 

After the program Santa Claus arrived with bags of nuts, candy and an 

Most people walked to church, sometimes on sidewalks made slippery by 
snow. The trip was always longer going home. 

In the hot summer time there was always a bucket of cool water with a 
handy dipper by a bench under a big oak tree at the side of the church. The rest 
room was outside in the rear of the church. 


After the new brick church was completed, the first little frame 
building was moved from Green Hill to Pigeon Street where it 
serves today as Jones Temple, A.M.E. Zion Church. 


During the decade of the 1880s, names of the same church 
members appear again and again in conference records as they 
assume various responsibilities of leadership and many of their 
descendants are leaders and dedicated members of the church 

In 1881 A. M. Ratcliffe, Jr., W. W. Stringfield, G. A. P. Long and 
S. J, Shelton were delegates to the district conference in Franklin 
and Stringfield was given the responsibility of collecting $65.50 
from the Waynesville Station for the purpose of discharging a debt 
against the district parsonage at Franklin. 

W. W. Stringfield also served as a delegate to General Con- 
ferences in Richmond, Va., Atlanta, Ga., and Knoxville, Tenn. 

J. K. Boone was recording steward and was also elected Sunday 
School superintendent. The preacher was W. A. Thomas. 

A report by church trustees in 1883 stated, "We hold in trust 
for the church property consisting of the old property on Green Hill 


now used for school purposes, the new church property on Church 
Street and the parsonage. The property on the hill is in tolerable 
good repair. The new church (incomplete) and lot are worth about 
$3,000 with a mortgage of $500." 

Mrs. Mary Tate and her husband, J. M. Tate, gave a lot for a 
parsonage in 1885, "in consideration of the love we have for the 
church and from our earnest desire to promote its heritage on earth, 
in trust that the premises be maintained as a place of residence for 
the use and occupancy of the preachers of the Methodist Episcopal 
Church South, who from time to time may be appointed." 

Another deed recorded in 1889 from Mary Tate and J. M. Tate 
called for one tract of land deeded to the church trustees for $150. 

Prior to that time a lot "for the benefit of the parsonage" was 
given to the church in 1876 by R. G. A. Love. 

The church membership had increased to 197 by 1886. At that 
time, the pastor, the Rev. J. C. Orr, reported to the quarterly 
conference, "Some members are punctual and regular at church, 
upright in life and character and showing the beauties and ex- 
cellences of Christianity, while some are so unguarded in their lives 
as to do things which bring reproach instead of honor upon the cause 
they profess." 


An important event came in 1890 when the Waynesville station 
became a part of the Western North Carolina Conference formed 
from portions of the North Carolina and Holston Conferences. The 
station remained in the Franklin District with the Rev. G. W. 
Jackson as the preacher. Assessments were $612 for the preacher, 
$88 for the presiding elder and $8 for the bishop. 

An Epworth League was organized in 1896. 

Another change came when the Waynesville District was 
formed in 1899. Membership of the churches in the district totaled 

The Waynesville First Methodist Church had 228 members in 
1900 and the pastor, the Rev. J. E. Abernathy, received a salary of 
$622.43. There was much discussion on methods of collecting funds. 

In those days it was customary to give new preachers and their 
families a "pounding" at which church members brought gifts of 
food and other items to make up for lack of money. 

Around the turn of the century a decision was reached to build 
a district parsonage on Hamer Avenue in Waynesville, and the local 
church was expected to pay about one-third the cost. 





Electricity came to Waynesville early in the 20th century and 
brought with it discussion among church members on ways and 
means to raise funds to pay for electric lights and appliances in the 
church. The women, under the direction of Mrs. R. D. Gilmer, raised 
part of the needed amount by putting on a benefit supper and 
soliciting contributions from the members. 

The salary of the pastor, the Rev. J. E. Abernathy, was raised 
to $1,000 and the presiding elder received about $150 from the 
Waynesville church. 


Growth of the church was continuous during the early 1900s 
and by 1914 the membership had reached 423. The Woman's 
Missionary Society had 30 members and the Epworth League 
organized in 1896 had a membership of 30. 

In another two years the two small Sunday School rooms were 
inadequate and classes were being held in the parsonage and the 
public school. The Epworth League had been organized into junior 
and senior groups with 20 members each and there were two 
missionary societies with 50 members. 

About this time the women were beginning to raise money for a 
new church and the stewards were trying to settle on a site for a 
new building. 

Finally in 1921, with an enrollment of 496, the congregation was 
rapidly outgrowing the seating capacity of the sanctuary. So, with 
cash on hand, pledges and other assets, action was taken to build a 
larger and more modern church with class rooms, dining room and 


The congregation gathered for this picture following the last service held in the old 
church in June, 1922 before construction was started on a new building. 


kitchen facilities. 

A building committee composed of Dr. Thomas Stringfield, J. R. 
Boyd, R. H. Blackwell, S. C. Satterthwaite, B. J. Sloan, Harden 
Howell, J. M. Mock and S. H. Bushnell was named. 

Then a controversy arose about the location of the new 
building. One group, calling themselves "The Progressives," wanted 
to build the new church on the corner of Main and Walnut Streets, 
while other members, "The Conservatives" favored retaining the 
old site on Haywood St. 

The Rev. George D. Herman was pastor and he suggested that 
each dollar pledged would entitle the donor to one vote in selecting 
the location. The Conservatives won and machinery was set in 
motion for building the new church on its present site. The hand- 
made brick from the old church was used as back-up brick for the 
new building. 

Mr. Herman served the church for four years and the walls of 
the new building were completed before he was succeeded in 1924 
by the Rev. J. T. Mangum, who saw the work completed. Services 
were held in the high school while the building was in progress. 

The new church with a membership of 537 was completed in 
1924 at a cost of $100,000. Mr. Herman preached the first sermon at 
the morning service June 22, 1924 and the Rev. Walter West, who 
preceded him as pastor, preached that night. The church was 
dedicated in September, 1925 by Bishop Edwin D. Mouzon and the 
Rev. J. T. Mangum presided. 

The presiding elder was the Rev. P. W. Tucker, who succeeded 
the Rev. R. S. Howie. Members of the board of stewards were J. L. 
Stringfield, chairman, S. L. Stringfield, C. W. Miller, E. J. Robeson, 
Fred Martin, J. R. Boyd, J. M. Long, E. J. Hyatt, James McLean, 
Elmer McClure, Thomas Stringfield, James Atkins, H. J. Sloan, R. 
H. Blackwell, Henry Gaddy, J. M. Mock, Jere Davis, Charles Miller, 
Charles Badgett, 0. T. Alexander, Dr. C. H. McDowell, Guy Massie 
and Roberts Boone. 

S. C. Liner was Sunday School superintendent, Jere Davis was 
treasurer, and John M. Queen was superintendent of the adult 
department, R. 0. Edgerton was superintendent of the Young 
People's Department, Miss Nannette Jones taught the seniors. Miss 
Ruth Wyche taught the intermediates, Mrs. T. L. Gwyn, the juniors, 
Mrs. Rufus Siler the primaries and Mrs. E. L. Withers taught the 

The pastor's salary was raised to $4,000.00. 


It is noted that the last couple married in the old church were 
Hettie Mock and Guy Massie and the first couple married in the new 
church were Mary Martin and Aaron Lynch. 

Enhancing the beauty of the new sanctuary were the stained 
glass windows given by church members in memory of loved ones. A 
pipe organ was given by S. C. Satterthwaite, Jr., in honor of his 
parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. C. Satterthwaite, both of whom were loyal 
members of the church. He later gave carrillonic bells as an ad- 
ditional memorial. 


The same year the church was completed a lot on the east 
side of Tate Street was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Troy Wyche 
for $1200 on which to build a parsonage. 

Shortly thereafter building the new parsonage to replace the 
small frame building below the church on Haywood Street became 
an outstanding project. The church set out to raise $10,000 for 
that purpose. 

There were 599 church members at the time and the 
Woman's Missionary Society had 58 members, divided into four 
circles. One of the many projects of the women was serving lunch 
to the Rotary Club every week, earning about $1,000 a year to go 
to the parsonage fund. 

Finally on April 13, 1931 the congregation voted unanimously 
to begin construction of the parsonage and the following building 
committee was named: E. J. Hyatt, J. R. Boyd, J. M. Long, Mrs. 
Rufus Siler, Mrs. C. E. Ray, the Rev. Watson 0. Goode, who was 
pastor at the time, and Bonner Ray, ex officio. 

Added to the board of stewards were 0. T. Alexander, Henry 
Gaddy, C. F. Kirkpatrick, J. M. Mock, N. W. Garrett, Bonner Ray, 
Dr. Tom Stringfield, T. M. Sewell, E. J. Hyatt, Miss Margaret 
Stringfield and Miss Bessie Boyd. 

James Atkins, Jr. was district steward and Homer Henry 
was general superintendent of the Sunday School. 

The brick parsonage was completed in 1932 at a cost of 
$12,000 and was furnished and equipped with modern con- 

The Rev. Wade Johnson was assigned as pastor in 1932 and 
the Rev. L. B. Hayes was presiding elder. Mrs. Rufus Siler and 
Miss Bessie Boyd were added to the board of Christian Education 


and Hugh Sloan was named Sunday School superintendent. The 
Epworth League "enjoyed a good attendance." 

In the fall of 1933 the Rev. Paul Hardin, Jr., who later 
became a bishop of the South Carolina Conference, came to the 
church and was pastor through two years of the Great 
Depression. During his pastorate the Sunday School attendance 
improved and the work of the women was "meritorious as usual." 
The membership had increased to 488 but the preacher's salary 
which had reached $4,000 a few years before, was only $2600. 

Additions to the church property were a garage for the 
parsonage, completed at a cost of $375, and the extension of the 
brick wall in front of the church, which was the work of Ernest 

During the pastorage of the Rev. R. S. Truesdale in 1937, W. 
L. Hardin, Jr., J. Dale Stentz, Miss Bessie Boyd and B. F. 
Smathers were added to the board of stewards. Mrs. Grover 
Davis was president of the Woman's Missionary Society. 

The following year, the Rev. J. G. iluggin, Jr. became pastor 
and M, H. Bowles assumed the duties of Sunday School 
superintendent. Church property was valued at $95,000. 

A gift of offering plates was presented to the church that 
year in memory of Clarence Watson Miller by his children, 
Georgia M. Kirkpatrick, Robena Miller, Jane Miller Perry, S.^die 
Miller Niles and David and Clarence Miller. 


For many years the three independent branches of the 
Methodist Church in the United States, the Methodist Protestant 
Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist 
Episcopal Church South, worked toward unification. 

This dream became a reality at a uniting conference held in 
Kansas City, Missouri, April 26, 1939, when nearly eight million 
Methodists became members of the Methodist Church of America. 

Under this union, all horizons of the church were broadened. 
The Woman's Missionary Society became the Woman's Society of 
Christian Service, the Epworth League became the Methodist 
Youth Fellowship and the Sunday School became only a part of 
the church school program. Mrs. James Atkins, Jr. was the first 
president of the Woman's Society and Mrs. T. Lenoir Gwyn and 


Mrs. Rufus Siler organized a Wesleyan Service Guild. 

In accordance with this larger vision, the First Methodist 
Church in Waynesville prepared to extend its service, not only to 
the congregation but to the community as a whole. 


When the present church was built there were only two 
rooms in the basement. These were the dining room (now the 
Wesley Fellowship classroom) and a kitchen with side entrances. 

The Rev. Clay Madison, who was appointed pastor in 1941, 
immediately realized the need for additional classrooms and, 
under his leadership, the basement was excuvated and five 
classrooms with a hall and stairway from the narthex were built. 

Another addition to the church came in 1944 when a tower 
music system was installed by Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Massie in 
memory of their son, Frank C. Massie. 


The Boyd Chapel in the basement of the church was built 
soon after the end of World War II in honor and memory of Mr. 
and Mrs. James R. Boyd by their children. It is also a memorial to 
Lt. Thad 0. Chafin, Jr., grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Boyd, who was 
killed in action in the service of his country in Germany, 
November 22, 1944. The news of Lt. Chafin's death came 
December 10, 1944, the same day that Mrs. Boyd (Sally Campbell 
Boyd) died. 

Miss Bessie Boyd, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Boyd, who had 
been a Sunday School teacher and counselor for the Epworth 
League for many years, conceived the idea for the chapel to be 
used primarily for youth assemblies. It has since been used not 
only for youth assemblies, but for any occasion when a smaller 
sanctuary is needed. 

Mr. Boyd died in September, 1949 and since that time the 
Boyd family has remodeled, improved and refurnished the chapel. 

A brass plate on the door bears the inscription, "In honor 
and memory of our father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Boyd by 
their children, September 5, 1947. Within the chapel a brass plate 
is inscribed "In loving memory of Lt. Thad 0. Chafin, Jr., 1944." 

The church acquired more property when a lot adjoining the 
parsonage was purchased from Helen and Ruth Wyche in March, 
1947 for $4,000. 


Look Magazine, in an article published in 1952 entitled "What is a Methodist?", 
featured the Waynesville First Methodist Church and all its activities. Shown here 
are reprints from that magazine. 

Methodist women prepare lunch for the meeting of a men's club, an ongoing fund- 
raising project for many years. From left, they are Mrs. Graver Davis, Mrs. Annie 
Massie, Mrs. Charles Burgin and Mrs. Kate Morris. 

Mrs. W. L. Matney was 
organist for the church from 
1901 until 1956. 



By the mid 1950s, the continued expansion of the church 
program and the need for more space, especially for Sunday 
School classes, prompted the official board to start a building 

In October, 1956, during the four years of the Rev. Earl H. 
Brendall's pastorate, the board agreed that thirty-five percent of 
all collections should be set aside as a nucleus for a fund for an 
education building. 

An architect was contacted and a building committee was 
appointed. The committee was composed of Rufus Siler, chairman, 
Ben J. Sloan, Weaver Kirkpatrick, Mrs. David Hyatt, W. Hugh 
Massie, Mrs. J. H. Woody, Mrs. Rufus Siler, Lawrence 
Leatherwood, Mrs. Ben J. Sloan, Mrs. E. C. Wagenfeld and John 
Hildenbiddle. Later Carl Ratcliffe and Tom Ray replaced John 
Hildenbiddle, who moved away, and Weaver Kirkpatrick, who 
died in 1958. Jonathan Woody was chairman of the board of 

It was also during this period that the church accepted the 
obligation of a $1,000 mission special for the Cullowhee Methodist 

Mrs. W. L. Matney, who had served faithfully as church 
organist from 1901, most of the years without salary, retired in 
April, 1956. She was presented a certificate of appreciation and 
the official board voted to continue the salary she was receiving 
at the time. Mrs. Matney's daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Calhoun, was 
named to serve in her place until a permanent organist could be 

A Bible, signed by all members of the First Methodist 
Church, was presented to Grace Episcopal Church in the 
Mountains October 6, 1957, when Grace Church dedicated a new 
church building. 


The Rev. R. Herman Nicholson was assigned to the church as 
pastor in June, 1957, and work on the education building started 
in earnest. A drive was launched in July, 1958 which resulted in 
pledges amounting to $160,000. 


Construction was started immediately and the building was 
completed in late 1959 at a cost of $160,000. The cost of im- 
provements on the lot amounted to $4,500 and the cost of fur- 
nishings and classroom necessities was approximately $25,000, 
bringing the total to $189,500. Another addition to the church 
property was a parking lot on the corner of Academy and Tate 
Streets, purchased for $15,000. 


The cornerstone for the new education building was laid in a 
ceremony held June 12, 1960, with Mr. Nicholson, the Rev. Frank 
Smathers, district superintendent, and Rufus Siler, chairman of 
the building committee participating. Encased in the cornerstone 
were a history of the church, various church documents, a list of 
the church members and members of the official board, church 
publications and a copy of the local newspaper. The Mountaineer. 

A tie with the past was preserved when the bell from the old 
church was hung in the tower of the new building and was rung 
each Sunday morning. 

One room in the new building was set aside for a library in 
memory of Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Boone and was furnished by 
members of their family. 

About the same time a ramp was built at the side of the 
church in memory of James Manley Long by his wife, Leona 
Weaver Long. 


Additions to the church staff were made in 1957 when Mrs. 
Frank Moore was employed as secretary and Mrs. W. G. Parker 
was employed to work with the Junior and Youth Choirs. 

It was also during Mr. Nicholson's ministry that several 
projects were started. 

The first annual Pancake Festival, which was originated and 
planned by Mrs. Rufus Siler as a project to raise funds to finance 
equipment for the kitchen, was held April 22, 1958. 

The project involved both men and women of the church with 
Carl Ratcliffe as chairman of the men's division, Mrs. Hugh 
Massie in charge of the women's division, and Mrs. Carl Ratcliffe 
in charge of tickets. 

Mrs. Siler continued to serve as general chairman until 


The Rev. J. E. Yountz receives young members into the church. 

Church members dress in costumes of the past for a special service in 1976 in ob- 
servance of the Nation's 200th birthday. 


illness forced her to step down in 1972. She was succeeded by her 
niece, Mrs. Charles Way, who had assumed the chairmanship of 
the women's division in 1961. Charles Way became chairman of 
the men's division in 1960. 

Another special program which raised the spiritual tone of 
the church was the organization of cottage prayer groups. Mr. 
Nicholson spoke to these groups by radio as they met in homes of 
members over all the community. 

Mrs, Gerald Schoonover became the first full time minister of 
music in 1960, serving as choir director and organist. 

Under Mr. Nicholson's guidance, new emphasis was given to 
stewardship, and tithing. A fund raising program was started in 
which the entire congregation met for a Loyalty Dinner on a 
given night each year and made pledges for the continued work of 
the church. 

The church also began exercising some missionary vision by 
pledging $1,000 a year for five years to Faith Methodist Church. 
Contributions were made to missions in Koulon Church, the 
Belgian Congo, Sarawa, Alaska University, MCOR and district 
missions. A contribution of $500 was made toward the con- 
struction of a chapel in the Haywood County Hospital and the 
Youth Fellowship engaged in furnishing a prayer room at the 

Membership enrollment reached 841 during the conference 
year 1961-62. Mrs. Carl Ratcliffe and Mrs. Howard Bryson were 
elected to the board of stewards, W. H. Massie was district 
steward and Carl Ratcliffe was superintendent of the Church 

At a quarterly conference in December 1961, James W. 
Fowler HI was recommended to be licensed to preach. 


Special gifts to the church during this period included brass 
altarware — a cross, candlesticks and vases — in memory of Mrs. 
Charles Edwin Ray, Sr. (nee Minnie Shelton), given by her 
daughter, Katharine Ray Watkins. 

Offering plates in memory of William Arthur Hyatt were 
given by his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. David Hyatt. 

Paraments for the communion table and lectern were given 


in memory of Mary Lou Moody Garrett by her husband, Noble 
Garrett and their children. 

Storm windows and doors for the parsonage were given by 
Johnny and Lena Ferguson. 


In 1962 Martha Griffin was employed as the first full time 
Christian Education assistant. 

Also in 1962 the official board passed a resolution to mail the 
church bulletin to each church family and this service has con- 
tinued to be helpful especially to shut-ins who appreciate knowing 
what is happening in the church. 

Toward the end of Mr. Nicholson's full six-year ministry, the 
parsonage was repaired and remodeled with work completed in 
time for the Rev. Horwood Myers and his family to occupy it in 
June, 1963. 

Other activities within the church during this period included 
sponsorship of scout troops for girls and boys with leadership 
provided by church members. Playground equipment was also 
provided for the kindergarten. 

An addition to the church was made by Mr. and Mrs. Johnny 
Ferguson when they decorated the room next to the Boyd chapel 
as a place for meditation. 

During Mr. Myers' pastorate the church added to missions by 
providing half the funds for support of the Rev. and Mrs. 
Raymond DeHainaut, missionaries to Brazil. 

The Spare Time Club for senior citizens was organized in 
1965 under the direction of Mrs. Gerald Schoonover, chairman of 
the Commission on Christian Social Concerns, as an in- 
terdenominational community project. 


A red letter day came June 13, 1965, when a note-burning 
service was held to mark the cancellation of indebtedness on the 
education building. Dr. Clay Madison delivered the dedicatory 
sermon with Mr. Myers presiding. 

The building was formally dedicated by Dr. Herman 
Nicholson on November 7, 1965. 

The following year Mrs. Betty Lopez was employed as 
educational assistant and a memorial fund was established for the 


purchase of a new organ. 

Another new program was started when the church entered 
a group participation plan with the Red Cross Bloodmobile by 
which all members were entitled to receive blood when needed. 


The Rev, Robert Rawls succeeded Mr. Myers as pastor in 

In October, 1968, the church conducted one of its most im- 
portant and rewarding programs — a Lay Witness Mission. This 
involved youth and adults as individuals, and groups of deeply 
dedicated people who came to the church and related their special 
experiences of meeting and serving their Lord. The effects of this 
program have continued as members meet in study and prayer 
groups and witness to their love of God. 

One of the outstanding evangelistic programs was brought to 
the membership by Dr. Reginald Mallett of England. This out- 
standing minister came in 1971 and again in 1975 for five-day 
periods of inspirational messages of hope and challenge. The 
mission of the church seemed to receive new impetus in both 
foreign and local areas. 

Youth reached out into the community and completely 
renovated a house for a needy family and many members 
volunteered their services for a much needed county tran- 
sportation program which enabled many people to attend clinics 
and visit doctor's offices. 

The church employed Mrs. Santiago Lopez as coordinator for 
the volunteer program and she was able to enlist additional 
volunteers from other churches to serve the people in their 
immediate locale. The new Mental Health unit received special 
funding from the church and one member, Mrs. Margaret Pilarski, 
leased her property for $1 a year in order to make this wor- 
thwhile program more available to the public. 

A contribution of $300 was made by the church to help 
support a tutoring program at the Pigeon Street school. 

Also receiving additional funding was a newly organized local 
mission entitled the Haywood Cooperative Christian Ministry 
which had become a real asset to the underprivileged people in 
the county. The national and world mission endeavors continued 
to grow in Japan, Korea and the Cherokee Indian Reservation as 
the church assumed support for more workers and assistance in 
building new churches. 



A new era in church history began in 1968 when the General 
Conference of the Methodist Church met in Dallas, Texas, with 
the Evangelical United Brethren and, after much deliberation, 
voted to unite with this group to become the United Methodist 

Hugh Massie, who had served as lay delegate from the 
Western North Carolina conference to General and Jurisdictional 
Conferences of the Methodist Church from 1956 to 1972, was a lay 
delegate to the Dallas Conference. 

This unification changed the entire structure of the church 
and brought about many changes at the local level. 

The official board was renamed and became the Ad- 
ministrative Board; the Woman's Society of Christian Service 
became United Methodist Women; and the Sunday School 
superintendent became the chairman of the Church Study 

The commissions were replaced by committees and task 
forces and a Council on Ministries was formed that included work 
area chairmen of youth, children, adult and family life, and 
committees on mission education, membership and evangelism, 
and music and worship. 

The function of the Council on Ministries was to give the 
committees a unified planning body. 


In 1970 approval was given for much needed renovation of 
the choir loft and sanctuary and the purchase of an organ. New 
pulpit furniture was given by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Frehn in 
memory of Mrs. Frehn's parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Blackwell. 

An important addition to the music ministry was the 
organization in 1972 of a handbell choir. The initial handbells 
were given by groups and individuals as a memorial to Dr. 
Thomas Stringfield H and additional bells necessary for a full 
choir were later given in memory of Mrs. Rufus Siler. Pam 
Parrish, who was educational assistant, assumed the respon- 
sibility of directing the bell ringers. 


The Rev. Bernard Hurley came to the church as pastor in 
June, 1971 and under his leadership the church continued to grow 
in membership and stewardship. New world mission was un- 
dertaken in Chile and the Philippines and local mission was ex- 

During the summer of 1972 Mr. Hurley exchanged pulpits 
with the Rev. A. P. Horner of England — an exchange that 
proved valuable not only in terms of spiritual enrichment but also 
of individual pleasure to the ministers' families. The exchange 
served as an additional bridge for understanding the witness of 
another nation. 


A new organization called "WHO" (We Help Others) was 
formed in 1973 under the direction of Mrs. R. K. Butler. This 
group has continued to meet each Thursday in the fellowship hall 
for luncheon and a good time. The members have sewn various 
articles for rest homes from donated material and, since its origin, 
the group has distributed hundreds of articles throughout the 

The beauty and safety of the church were increased in 1974 
when Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Woody remodeled the front of the 
building with new steps, lights and shrubbery. 

Memorial gifts at this time were a Bible stand given by their 
children in honor of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Bradley on their 50th 
wedding anniversary, September 7, 1973; and two brass altar 
vases given by Mrs. James Michaels in memory of her parents, 
Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Blackwell. 

A station wagon was donated to the church by the trustees 
and interested friends, who voted to make it available for youth, 
the kindergarten and the WHO group. 


Dr. Larry Wilkinson was appointed minister of the church in 
1976 and under his leadership the church continued to initiate 
new services and gain new members to reach a total of 1078. 

Changes in personnel came with the retirement of Mrs. 
Frank Moore, church secretary-treasurer, and her replacement by 
Mrs. L. D. Atkins, Jr. 

The Rev. Lloyd D. Bolt of Lake Junaluska, a retired member 
of the South Carolina Conference, became the church's first 


minister of visitation and Mrs. Marie Duncan was employed as 
the first church hostess. 

Mrs. Betty Lou Stroud was named director of music and 
youth to replace Frank Calhoun, who had retired after eight 
years as director of music to accept a position at the First United 
Methodist Church in Winter Park, Fla. 

A new program was started when the church began recor- 
ding Sunday morning services on tapes to be taken to shut-ins in 
order that they could participate in the worship in their homes. 

The Work Area on Evangelism initiated a program by which 
volunteers were assigned five church families each to take under 
their watch care. 

In the spring of 1977 Mr. and Mrs. William M. Cobb went to 
London, England, to attend a ceremony commemorating the 
laying of the foundation stone for the restoration of Wesley's 
Chapel and to present a love offering of more than $1,000 from 
the First United Methodist Church to go into the restoration 
fund. Methodists all over the world responded to the drive for 
funds for the restoration which generated $1,100,000. 

When the completed chapel was reopened and dedicated in 
November, 1978 in the presence of Queen Elizabeth, the 
Waynesville First United Methodist Church was represented by 
Dr. and Mrs. Joe Hale and their son, Jeff; Dr. and Mrs. Lee Tuttle 
and the Rev. Russell L. Young. 

In the spring of 1979 the congregation welcomed Miss 
Christine Anderson, an English exchange student from Cornwall, 
England, and a licensed local preacher of the British Methodist 
Church. During her visit of several months. Miss Anderson 
visited in homes of church members and endeared herself to the 
church as a whole. She worked with the youth and assisted Dr. 
Wilkinson at regular services. 

Pledges were also made by church members to the Givens 
Estate, a United Methodist retirement community established in 

Additional service beyond the local church was given by 
groups who joined work teams in Puerto Rico and Panama where 
they helped build new churches or restore old ones. 

These groups included Mr. and Mrs. Paul Bryson, Mrs. 
Charles Gidney and her daughter, Martha Gidney, Mr. and Mrs. 
Lawrence Leatherwood, Mrs. Dick Moody, Howard Williams, 
Howard Bryson and Marvin Culbreth, some of whom have made 
more than one trip. 



In June, 1979, the Waynesville United Methodist Church 
again experienced the United Methodist system of itinerate 
ministry when a change of ministers occurred. 

Dr. Wilkinson, who had served the church for three years, 
was appointed superintendent of the North Wilkesboro District 
and two new ministers were appointed to succeed him. 

The Rev. Kelley R. Jones, who had previously served in the 
Charlotte and High Point Districts, became the senior minister of 
the Waynesville church and the Rev. David Fussell, who had just 
graduated from the Candler School of Theology, became the 
church's first associate minister to provide additional service to 
the growing congregation. Mr. Fussell was assigned the major 
responsibility for ministry to youth. 

Under Mr. Jones' leadership the church has continued to 
experience growth in membership and development of ministries. 
A renewed emphasis on evangelism has sed to greater in- 
^^olvement of lay persons in visitation of prospective members. 
Since June, 1979, 91 new members have been received, bringing 
the total membership to 1103. 

Mr. Jones has also led a renewal of emphasis on Sunday 
School membership with a campaign based on the theme "Sunday 
School — Make It Live." 

Another program recently started is the renewal of the 
Membership Caring Ministry, with the entire membership 
organized into 43 Caring Fellowship units. The units vary from 


The Church in 1981 


six to twelve families grouped geographically for caring support 
and ministering together. 

The stewardship of giving has also grown each year. In 1979 
the church budget was $160,000; in 1980 the budget was $196,000; 
and for 1981 the pledged budget is $217,000. 

In addition the congregation accepted and pledged $27,314 
over a three-year period as a part of the Annual Conference 
Campaign for Ministers' Pensions. 

The church continues to support Mr. and Mrs. David Swain, 
missionaries to Japan, which was started a number of years ago. 


A special event in the life of the church occurred May 24, 
1980 when needlepoint altar kneeling cushions were dedicated to 
the Glory of God in memory of W. Hugh Massie in appreciation of 
his years of devotion, generosity, service and loyalty to the First 
United Methodist Church. The cushions, with designs depicting 
the Life of Christ, were presented to the church by Mrs. Hugh 
Massie, her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Way, 
and their children. Chuck, Linda and Harriett Way, and friends. 
The needlepoint was the handwork of women and men of the 
church and friends of other churches. 

Mr. Massie, who died January 7, 1978 had been a leader in 
the church for many years and had held offices in all levels of 
church work. 

Another memorial to Mr. Massie is a painting of Lake 
Junaluska by Frances Layfield given by Wesley Fellowship 
Sunday School Class of which he was a member. The painting 
hangs in the class room. 

On March 8, 1981 the congregation voted to purchase the 
Smith property next door to the church on Haywood Street at a 
cost of $42,000. Almost half the needed amount came from a 
$15,000 bequest from the late Mrs. Thad Howell with the 
stipulation that the money should be used for the purchase of 
church property. 

The congregation agreed that the property was needed, not 
only for additional church facilities, but as a protection from what 
might become undesirable neighbors. 


Throughout his ministry Mr. Jones has stressed concern for 
a balanced ministry and mission, leading the church to become 
involved in every area of opportunity with global ministries and 
social action given important priority. The church is well 
organized with strong leadership in every work area. 

Of equal importance is the Sunday morning worship service 
and the preaching of the Word of God. Mr. Jones has stressed the 
importance of the Advent and Lenten seasons with additional 
services on Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and 
Ascension Day. 

It was at Mr. Jones' suggestion that the year 1981 be set 
apart as a celebration of the church's sesquicentennial, marking 
150 years of continuous ministry in Waynesville. 


The twenty-third annual Pancake Day, which seems to grow 
larger every year, was held February 24, 1981. 

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Way, who have continued their work 
throughout the years, were again in the key positions — Mrs. 
Way serving as general chairman and Mr. Way serving as 
chairman of the men's division. Mrs. Paul Blackwell continued her 
work as ticket chairman. 

This event is not only the largest fund-raising project in the 
church year, it is an event that involves all church members 
working together in a great time of fellowship. 

Each year more than 325 members of the church have con- 
tributed a minimum of one hour of their time as volunteer 
workers on Pancake Day. The effort has the complete support of 
the church as well as the community and has been the means of 
raising several thousand dollars. In the first four years the 
women bought more than $3,500 worth of equipment for the new 
kitchen in the education building. Since then money has been 
given to many local needs as well as mission needs on the national 
and world level. 

Gross receipts have increased from around $650 in 1958 to 
mtfre than $3,400 in 1981 and the number of people served has 
increased from a few hundred in 1958 to more than 2,000 in 1981. 

It is interesting to note that 10,000 pancakes, 26 gallons of 
syrup, 300 pounds of sausage and 170 pounds of bacon were 
served in 1981 along with 60 pounds of margarine, 1800 cups of 
coffee, 15 pounds of sugar, 900 half-pints of milk and more than 10 


gallons of milk for coffee. 

The success of Pancake Day can be attributed to hard work 
on the part of church members, the response of the public, and 
contributions by local merchants and manufacturers of food 


The Sunday School, always a vital part of the church, offers 
programs for all age groups from the pre-school child to adults 
with able and dedicated teachers. Mrs. Santiago Lopez is 
educational assistant. 

Enrollment in the pre-school Sunday morning groups totals 
47 including the crib nursery, A planned program is provided 
from 9:45 a.m. until noon with the assistance of a paid worker and 
volunteers from the older Elementary and Youth Divisions. 

Forty-four boys and girls in grades one through six make up 
the Elementary Division. Sometimes the department is broken 
down into age levels for study and at other times the department 
worships as a unit, breaking into interest groups for study. 


The Youth Program, involving seventh through twelfth grade 
youth is basically two-pronged, including Sunday School and the 
United Methodist Youth Fellowship. 

The Sunday School class of Junior High youth is taught by 
George Denmark, who blends object lessons with a biblical 
foundation, using a lecture/discussion format to give factual in- 
formation and help the class members see the practical ap- 
plication of their Christian faith. The goal of the class is to expose 
Junior High Youth to the basic teachings of Christianity. 

The Senior High Class is taught by Charles Penland, who 
strives to meet the young people where they are and challenge 
them to consider the impact of the Christian faith on their lives. 
Through different approaches of learning from lectures to making 
banners, to discussing God and the "Top 40" hit songs of the day, 
they are striving to work out a faith that will be a vital part of 
their lives. 

UMYF meetings are held Sunday evenings under the 
direction of David Fussell, beginning with a snack supper 


provided by different parents from week to week. The meal is 
followed by a recreation period including various games showing 
team spirit and group identity. 

The junior and senior groups usually divide for their 
programs of study, service and worship in an informal at- 

The groups enjoy retreats, recreational outings as well as 
helping with service projects such as contributing to world 
hunger or visiting in rest homes. Through all their activities the 
youth experiences what it means to work and play together as a 
community of faith. They have many opportunities to interact 
with each other and with adult counselors as they seek to find 
themselves and their place in the world. 

In the summer of 1980, four members of the United 
Methodist Youth — James Inman, Robin Walker, Peter Martin 
and Chuck Reece — with David and Melanie Fussell as their 
leaders, spent two weeks in England and attended the In- 
ternational Christian Youth Conference in Truro, Cornwall, 

At the conference, attended by youth from 47 countries, they 
experienced a week of Christian instruction, fellowship and 
worship under the leadership of international evangelists. 

They also were privileged to worship at Wesley's Chapel and 
visit Gwennap Pit, a natural outdoor amphitheatre near the coal 
mines of Southwest, England where John Wesley often preached 
to miners. 

During their second week in England the group participated 
in a Wesley Heritage Tour which included Wesley's birthplace 
and childhood home at Epworth and a number of other important 
Methodist historical sites. 

The trip proved to be a tremendous opportunity for spiritual 
growth, insight and understanding of Methodist heritage. 


There are seven adult Sunday School classes with an 
enrollment of 246. 

The Young Adult class offers fellowship and study for college 
students and others in this age group who are pursuing careers. 
The class meets in an informal, comfortable setting on the ground 
floor of the church under the sanctuary. 


The Covenant Class is an open discussion type group that 
gives members the opportunity to be active participants in 
learning about the Bible and its affect on their lives. Leadership 
is shared among the class members with occasional outside 
resource persons participating. Dr. Clarice Bowman is resource 

The Upper Room Class is an informal discussion group led by 
class members and is open to all ages. Reflecting on materials 
chosen by the group, the members share their faith, doubts, 
hopes, fears, opinions and experiences. 

The Faith Class held in the Boyd Chapel appeals to all ages, 
who meet for the purpose of hearing and studying God's word. It 
is a lecture type class, taught by Ruth Curtis and Matt Howell. 

The Asbury Class includes ages from 35 to 60, but anyone is 
welcome regardless of age. Four teachers share the leadership on 
a quarterly basis, using the International Sunday School Series. 
The teachers are Mrs. David Satterfield, Mrs. J. K. Stringfield, 
Mrs. Howard Williams, and the Rev. Robert Martin. 

The Marietta Way Bible Class, formed many years ago by 
women interested in Bible study and discussion, is taught by Miss 
Ada Cornwell. 

Joe Davis and Lawrence Leatherwood alternate as teachers 
of the Men's Bible Class that meets in the Boyd Annex. 

The Wesley Fellowship Class is composed of 60 married 
couples and single men and women ranging in age from 50 up. 
The first part of the class session is taken up with enthusiastic 
hymn singing, prayer and sharing interests and concerns about 
class members. The teaching-learning portion of the class time 
combines teaching and the scriptures, essentially by the lecture 

Mrs. Howard Bryson is the regular teacher with Mrs. Mark 
Rose and Mrs. Francis Cunningham as substitutes. The class is 
also fortunate in having several retired ministers and their wives 
who teach at intervals and contribute greatly to the learning 

A special offering is taken the first Sunday of each month to 
be used for some charitable project in the church or community. 



1917-1918 E. J. Robeson 1932-1938 Hugh J. Sloan 

1918-1920 J. M. Mock 1939-1956 M. H. Bowles 

1921-1923 A. C. Reynolds 1957-1961 Carl Ratcliffe 

1924-1929 Hugh J. Sloan 1961-1968 Charles Way 

1930-1931 Homer Henry 


In 1959, after the education building was completed, the church 
took over the weekday kindergarten which had been operated in the 
church by Mrs. E. K. Herman as a private institution. 

Mrs. Hollis Chase was named director-teacher and with two 
other staff members served approximately 40 children. 

The program has grown continuously and in 1981 serves 120 
children, ages three to five, with a staff of eight teachers plus a full 
time director, Mrs. Oliver Yount, who has directed the work since 

The kindergarten program was enlarged in 1978 to include day 
care services. 


The Ministry of Music, under the direction of Betty Lou 
Hubbard, plays an important role in all services of the church. 

The Chancel Choir, made up of ten sopranos, ten altos, six 
tenors and ten bases, presents outstanding anthems each Sunday 
morning, leading the congregation to a worshipful attitude. 

In addition the choir, under the direction of Mrs. Hubbard with 
Dr. Betsy Farlow as organist, presents special music for occasions 
such as Christmas and Easter. The choir celebrated Christmas, 1980 
with the Christmas portion of Handel's "Messiah" and presented 
the Easter portion in April, 1981. 

The Youth Choir is made up of a small but enthusiastic group of 
teenagers, who both sing and play handbells for several services 
during the year, under the direction of Mr. and Mrs. William 

The Treble Choir of fourth, fifth and sixth graders not only 
learns songs to sing in church, but also learns the rudiments of 
handbell playing. 

First, second and third graders form the Cherub Choir, which 
sings in church services occasionally during the year. 


The Adult Handbell Choir, composed of the most advanced 
handbell players, is an inspiring addition to frequent morning 
services and special programs. 


Throughout the years women of the First United Methodist 
Church have continued and broadened the work started by the first 
small group that organized the Women's Missionary Society in 1879. 
With the leadership of many dedicated and outstanding leaders 
they have supported the church in all its endeavors. 

The organization of United Methodist Women has a total today 
(April, 1981) of 226 members, who make up eight Christian Service 
groups. The groups meet once a month and contribute funds to the 
UMW. The largest contribution goes to missions. Offerings also go 
to Brooks Howell Retirement Home, Haywood Christian Ministries, 
the Conference Scholarship Fund, Membership Pins and other 
special projects. 

The women are no longer limited in opportunity as they were in 
the early days. In 1981 the Administrative Board includes 19 women 
among its 52 at-large members. 

Within the past 10 years women of First United Methodist 
Church have been elected to the previously all-male positions of Lay 
Leader, Chairperson of the Finance Committee, Chairperson of the 
Administrative Board, delegate to the Annual Conference and 
Chairperson of the Trustees. Women have served faithfully and well 
as chairpersons of committees on Worship, Education, Evangelism 
and Mission and the Staff-Parish Relations Committee. 

Women in the church have served effectively as committee 
members, as handbell ringers, as greeters at the 11 o'clock worship 
services and as members of the Altar Committee responsible for 
beautiful and inspiring worship settings. 

In addition, women from the Waynesville First United 
Methodist Church have served in district offices for a number of 
years through the United Methodist Women and more recently as a 
part of the Waynesville Council on Ministries. Women from the 
church also serve on Western North Carolina Conference boards. 


An important organization within the church is the United 
Methodist Men's Fellowship. 


The men meet the second Sunday in each month in the 
fellowship hall for breakfast prepared by one of the group's 
"cooking teams." 

For programs they take advantage of talent within the church 
and the community. The diversified presentations include guest 
musicians and talks by resource persons from agencies concerned 
with the welfare of the community. At other times the hour is 
devoted to fellowship and discussion of church needs. 

The group's main objectives are mission, ministry projects, 
fellowship and assisting with maintenance of the church property. 


For several years the church has sponsored a softball team for 
men 16 years and older. 

The team is affiliated with the Haywood Church Softball 
League and plays against other teams in the league twice a week 
during the months of June, July and August. 

Approximately 25 players enjoy this sport and have made a 
good showing in the league standings. 


First United Methodist Church has been involved in and 
strongly supportive of scouting with church members providing 

At present the church sponsors a Girl Scout troop and a Cub 
Scout Pack. The Rev. Kelley Jones serves as Cubmaster. 


Numerous members of the First United Methodist 
congregation have responded to their country's needs during its 
several wars and have served in the armed forces with valor and 

Those who made the supreme sacrifice in World Wars I and II 
and the Korean Conflict were Hunter Blackwell, Zeb Curtis, Jr., 
Thad Chafin, Joe Vance Davis, David Himes, Owen Hudson, Ken 
Palmer, David Stentz and James Queen. 



As this history of the Waynesville First United Methodist 
Church goes to the printer (April, 1981), the church is near the 
halfway mark in its sesquicentennial year. 

The celebration began January 4, 1981 when the Rev. Kelley 
Jones, minister, and George Denmark, chairman of the 
Sesquicentennial Committee, introduced plans for a 12-month ob- 

The plans called for special services involving former 
ministers, music and pageantry and the publication of a church 

Thus far, the former ministers participating have been the Rev. 
Horwood Myers, now retired and living in Waynesville, who served 
as lector at a regular worship service; Bishop Paul Hardin, Jr., now 
retired and living at Lake Junaluska, who spoke at a March family 
night dinner relating his memories of the ups and downs of the 
years he was here during the Depression; and Dr. Herman 
Nicholson, who gave reminiscences of his six years at the church 
and also gave an inspiring talk at an evening service March 29. 
Other former ministers will speak at later dates, not yet deter- 

Still ahead is Sesquicentennial Sunday, May 24 with Bishop 
Scott Allen as the speaker at the morning service. The service will 
be followed by a church-yard picnic. 

A Sesquicentennial pageant is scheduled during the month of 
October and a Great Day of singing is on the program Oct. 18. 

An "Old Fashioned Christmas" is planned for the December 20 
Family Night. 

All of the programs are creating interest and anticipation. For 
some members the Sesquicentennial is a time for remembering life- 
long ties with the church. For others its an opportunity to learn 
more about the history of their adopted church home. 

For the church as a whole it is a time to build for a strong 
tomorrow, as Paul wrote in his letter to the Philippians: "This one 
thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching 
forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark 
for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (3:13, 14) 


A Hymn of Celebration 

Composed for the observance of 

Sesquicentennial Sunday, May 24, 1981 

Words by Kelley R. Jones Music by Dr. Maurice We 

Chorus: Celebration! Celebration! This is the year of Celebratic 
A year of rejoicing, a year of praise, 
Thanksgiving and glory to God we raise! 

1. God has created this church to be 
In mission and in ministry; 

For He alone did give it birth 

To serve mankind throughout the earth. 

2. Yonder in her pure infancy, 

A little struggling babe to be sure; 
God's plan was for this church to grow 
And throughout centuries long endure. 


3. Despite the difficulty and pain. 
Hardy believers chose to remain 
Ever faithful to God's call divine. 
Each generation has marched in line 
Long and glorious reaching through time. 

4. Through these years the church has met 
The urgent problem of the time. 

Often the task too g^eat, and yet 
The people sought God's way to find. 



5. Today a mighty fortress she stands, 
Founded on the rock of Christ 
Secure in His strong hand. 

Forward we're going, onward we move, 
Saved by God's mercy, charged by His love. 

6. A sweet bond of unity, a oneness we claim. 
The temptation to retreat we truly disdain. 

Our pledge to God's future, we make without fear 
For God leads us onward year after year. 

7. On this bright day a new vision we hold^ 
Our purpose to serve is valiant and bold. 
God's Holy Spirit will lead us along 
Until we sing God's victory song. 




Mrs. E. Edwards 
Mrs. Fitzgerald 
Mrs. E. H. Bogle 
Mrs. S. F. Ferguson 
Mrs. J. M.Tate 
Mrs. R.D.Gilmer 
Mrs. W. B. Ferguson 
Mrs. J.K.Boone 
Mrs. H. M. Rogers 

Mrs. G.H. West 
Mrs. Emma Willis 
Mrs. E. J. Robeson 
Mrs. J. H. Way 
Mrs. A. C. Reynolds 
Mrs. Tom Mangum 
Mrs. P. W. Tucker 
Mrs. J.M.Long 
and others 


Mrs. James Atkins 
Mrs. J. Harden Howell 
Mrs. J. Dale Stentz 
Mrs. Noble Garrett 
Mrs. Bonner Ray 
Mrs. Henry Gaddy 
Mrs. Carl Ratcliffe 

Mrs. W.L.Turner 

Mrs. E. G. Wagenfeld 

Mrs. Wallace Nave 

Mrs. Lloyd Warren 

Mrs. Hugh Massie 

Mrs. James K. Stringfield 

Mrs. Lawrence Leatherwood 

Mrs. Ray Ellis 


Mrs. Russell Young, Jr. 
Mrs. James K. Stringfield 
Mrs. Edward Broadwell 

Mrs. Joe Hale 
Mrs.E. C.Swanger 

Mrs. Rufus Siler 
Mrs. Lewis Green 



Mrs. Oliver Yount 
Mrs. Myrtle Little 
Mrs. Tom Zinavage 






William Eakin 


Ulrich Keener 


William Eakin 


A. G. Worley 


H. Harrison 


Edwin Wexler 


A. Woodfin 




Raffail W. Pally 


Benjamin H. White 


W. Bruce and 


Benjamin H. White 

O.F. Cunning 


Wiley F. Parker 




Wiley F. Parker 


Andrew Pickens 


Alexander F. English 


Andrew Pickens 


John Reynolds 


B. F. Wills 


J. W. Bird 


D. White 


James R. Long 


Reuben K. Ketron 


George W. K. Green and 


J. R. Bellamy 

William Hicks, president 



of Richland Institute 


A. B. Broyles and 


D. R. Reagan 

J. W. Thompson 


James R. Long 


J. W. Thompson and 


James R. Ballew 

Robert W. Pickens 


William H. Cooper and 


Ulrich Keener and 
one to be supplied 

George Spake 

1865-1868 Thomas F. Glenn 1872 C.E.Wiggins 

1868 J. W. Bird 1873 C.E.Wiggins 

1869-1870 Joseph H. Wiggins 1874-1878 William M. Kerr 
1871 C.B.Fugate 1878-1881 E.H. Bogle 



W. A. Thomas 

1885 D. H. Dickey 


William C. Garden 

1886-1889 J.C.Orr 


T. R. Handy 

1889-1890 G. W. Jackson 


G. W. Simpson 




















P. L. Grooms 1894 D.H.Coman 

J.E.Gaye 1895-1896 R. D. Sherrill 


J. E. Abernathy 
Ira Erwin 
Marshall A. Smith 
J. H. Earnhardt 
M. F.Moores 
Walter B. West 
George D. Herman 
Wade Johnson 


Paul Hardin, Jr. 
R. S. Truesdale 
J. G.Huggins, Jr. 
J. Clay Madison 
Paul Townsend 
Russell L. Young 
J.E. Yountz 
Earl H. Brendall 
R. H. Nicholson 
Horwood Myers 
Robert J. Ralls 
J. Bernard Hurley 
Larry D. Wilkinson 
Kelley R. Jones and 
David Fussell 


1918 J.DaleStentz 

1919 J. M. Mock 

1920 No Listing 

1921 J.A.Taylor 
1922-1923 A.C.Reynolds 
1924 John A. Taylor 
1925-1931 James Atkins 
1932 Homer Henry 
1933-1937 James Atkins 
1938-1941 J.R.Boyd 

1942 Mrs. J.DaleStentz 

1943-1946 J.R.Boyd 

1947-1949 HughMassie 

1950-1951 N.W.Garrett 

1952 W. Hugh Massie - H. B. Angel, alternate 

1953-1957 W. Hugh Massie - N. J. Tucker, alternate 












W. Hugh Massie — Herbert Gibson, alternate 
W. Hugh Massie — M. H. Bowles, alternate 

W, Hugh Massie — Lloyd Warren, alternate 
W. Hugh Massie — Dr. Frank Hammett, alternate 
W. Hugh Massie 

W. Hugh Massie — Harvey M. Dulin, alternate 
W. Hugh Massie — Joe Davis, alternate 
Dr. J. Frank Hammett, Enos Boyd, G. Dewey Stovall, 
Jr. (reserve) 

W. Hugh Massie — Dr. J. Frank Hammett, C. Jeff 
Reece (reserve) 

W. Hugh Massie — Dr. J. Frank Hammett, alternate 
W. Hugh Massie — C.Jeff Reece, alternate 
C.Jeff Reece — Charles Way 
C.Jeff Reece — Charles Way 
C. Jeff Reece — Mrs. James Stringfield (delegates) 
C. Jeff Reece — Mrs. James K. Stringfield 


1972-1974 C.Jeff Reece 

1975-1976 C. Jeff Reece - Charles Way, Associate District Lay 

1977-1981 Charles B. Way 



J. Dale Stentz 


N. W. Garrett 


J. M. Mock 


Hugh Massie 


J. M. Mock 


Johnathan Woody 


John A. Taylor 


M. H. Bowles 


A. C.Reynolds 


Lloyd Warren 


John A. Taylor 


Ned Tucker 


James Atkins 


Marvin Culbreth 


Homer Henry 


Howard Williams 


James Atkins 


Robert Massie 


J. R. Boyd 


Oscar C. Brock 


Mrs. Dale Stentz 


Mrs. James K. Stringfield 




George Denmark 


Hugh Massie 



DEMCO 38-297 , 

Duke University Libraries